Code of Ethics
This code shall establish a standard of conduct to be followed by all members of the Sierra Nevada Collie Club, in the normal course of breeding, selling, exhibiting. We recognize the difficulty of covering all situations and for this reason any failure to comply with the intent of the code shall be handled in the same manner as a specific violation. The welfare of all collies is the responsibility of all members.
1. No member shall knowingly sell or place, trade or give any Collie of any age to pet dealers, catalog houses, or other commercial sources; nor shall Collies be given as prizes, auctioned, or exploited to the detriment of the breed.
2. No Collie should be sold with defects of health or temperament that would interfere with its normal function as a suitable pet or companion. All known defects shall be disclosed to the new owner in writing.
3. All dogs shall be transferred, sold or placed in good condition, free of communicable diseases with health guaranteed for a reasonable length of time. This should include a written health record, including an inoculation schedule and an eye examination done either by a licensed veterinarian trained in veterinary ophthalmology or a certified ophthalmologist. . It is also suggested that the dogs have some type of permanent identification, such as a microchip or tattoo.
4. Collie puppies shall not be released until eight (8) weeks of age . Puppies sold as pet s shall be sold with AKC Limited Registration. Spay/neuter agreements are strongly recommended on all collies sold as pets.
5. A written agreement should be drawn up between buyer and seller for all transactions. The agreement should include a request that the seller be contacted in the event that at any time the owner is unable to keep the dog. When contacted it will be the obligation of the seller to make every effort to assist the buyer in placement of the dog.
6. No member shall sell or aid in selling to a person who they have reason to believe cannot or will not provide proper care and environment to the Collie. Members shall not abandon or put dogs in shelters or pounds. If circumstances require emergency placement of a dog into rescue the owner is financially responsible for the care of the dog.
7. All members shall provide proper care and a suitable environment for their collies. Collies shall not be kept in circumstances or numbers where their needs cannot be adequately met.
8. All breeding shall be done with the intention of advancing and protecting the breed. All Collies used for breeding shall be in good health and free from communicable disease. Dogs known to be sterile, cryptorchid or monorchid shall not be offered at stud. Stud dog and bitch owners shall notify the other of any physical problems and/or any known inherited genetic defects or any other condition in their dogs.
9. Bitches shall be bred only to selected stud. Owner of bitch is to be consulted before any other stud is used.
10. All financial arrangements and breeding arrangements will be in advance of sales or service and agreed to in writing by both parties. Only an actual witnessed tie or AI that has been agreed upon by all parties shall be considered breeding.
11. All advertising shall be honest and not in any way misrepresentative or fraudulent. Variety shall be designated in all advertising.
12. Whether at home, traveling, at shows or motels, all members shall conduct themselves at all times in such a manner as to reflect credit on the sport of dogs and Collies in particular.
13. All members will be given a copy of this Code when joining and by the act of joining shall signify their acceptance of this Code in its entirety. Any member then violating this Code either in content or intent shall be punished according to the severity and intent of the violation up to and including expulsion from the club.